We are all about metacognition here at ResearchILD – here is a link roundup of articles on this important subject!
- How Do We Foster Metacognition? — This SMARTS teacher training video is a great place to start! The video tackles tough questions like why metacognition is so important and how to help students develop metacognitive awareness.
- Pearson’s Research Report on metacognition — Written by Emily Lai, this report argues that metacognition and strategy use go hand in hand (we couldn’t agree more!). She says that instruction is most effective when it emphasizes “how to use strategies, when to use them, and why they are beneficial.”
- Becoming the Boss of Your Brain: Modeling Metacognition — This article, from the Innovating Minds website and Donna Wilson’s blog, outlines several strategies for fostering metacognition that you can use with children in the classroom and at home.
- The Learner Sketch Tool — This online survey gives students a peek at their own neurodevelopmental areas of strength and challenge. The Learner Sketch Tool is a creation of Faces of Learning and the QED Foundation, two organizations that really understand how to promote student self-understanding.
- Elizabeth Ross, M.A., SMARTS Media Manager